Who are we looking for?
To be eligible for the graduate program you need to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident, and be completing your first degree qualification in the current year or have completed it in the preceding calendar year.
The graduate program is an equity and diversity employment initiative and therefore we are actively looking for recent university graduates from any of the following diversity groups to apply:
- people 24 years and under
- people with disability
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
What are we looking for in an application?
You will be required to provide the following:
- A copy of your academic record and evidence of your relevant bachelor degree being completed in the current year or the preceding calendar year
- Your CV including the names and contact details of two referees
- A cover letter (maximum three pages) which outlines the following:
- Why you are interested in working at the Department and how it fits with your career aspirations.
- A description of your role in a project (university assignment is ok) that you have undertaken or participated in that demonstrates your research and communication skills.
DO NOT apply for a position if you do not have the relevant degree for the position being advertised. However if you have any questions about the position in relation to your degree, please contact Alyce Rengel on (08) 9222 3866.
How do I make sure my application has the 'wow factor'?
Your suitability for interview will be assessed from the information provided in your written application. To be considered for a position, you must provide everything that is requested above.
The graduate positions are very competitive. To really impress the panel and be shortlisted, you need to show us that you understand what your respective department does, and you understand the business areas where the position would be located. You can then link this to your degree and any other relevant experience that you have (previous employment, volunteer work and interests) to tell us what it is about the position that interests you.
To get a good understanding of the position, the department and business area, check out our website or call the contact person on the job advert.
When are applications open?
Applications for our graduate program are open throughout the month of August. The selection process is normally finalised by October or November for an intake in January.
If you would like to receive an email notification when applications open for the year, please contact Alyce Rengel on email@example.com or (08) 9222 3866.
Late applications cannot be accepted so please ensure you submit all of your documentation before the application closing date and time.
How do I apply?
A variety of graduate positions are available across the three departments. Each department is looking for people with different qualifications and runs its own recruitment process. Please ensure you are aware of the individual requirements for each position in order to put your best foot forward.
Applications must be submitted via the Western Australian Government's Jobs Board.
To view all of the department's available graduate job opportunities on the Western Australian Government's Jobs Board, select ‘Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety’ from the Agencies menu and, ‘Graduate’ from the Occupation menu and then click on ''Search"
To view all of the Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation’s available graduate job opportunities on the Western Australian Government's Jobs Board, select ‘Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation’ from the Agencies menu and, ‘Graduate’ from the Occupation menu and then click on ''Search".
Please note the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development will not be recruiting for the 2019 graduate intake.
- The application process What is the department looking for and how to submit the best application?
- Apply now Applications for the 2020 Graduate Program will open in mid/late 2019
- The selection process What is the process once the application has been submitted?
- Frequently asked questions FAQs on the graduate program