Applying for a fireworks contractor licence

Fireworks contractor licence - application form - 73 Kb

This form or template is required to apply for a fireworks contractor licence.

When is this licence required?

A fireworks contractor licence is required to:

  • manufacture (subject to conditions), purchase, store (limited quantities), possess, transport (not more than Category 2 loads) and use fireworks.
  • apply for a fireworks event permit.

A firework contractor licence is issued for five years.

Fireworks contractor licence - general information - 85 Kb

The following information is to guide you on the requirements for applying for and renewing fireworks contractor licences.

Who can apply?

Licences can be granted to an individual, body corporate or partnership.

  • Individuals must be at least 21 years of age and hold a fireworks operator licence.
  • Bodies corporate or partnerships must have at all times at least one individual who is concerned in the management of, or employed by, the body corporate or partnership that holds a fireworks operator licence.  If this is not the case, the contractor licence is suspended until someone with a fireworks operator licence is employed.

The applicant must already hold a current fireworks operator licence.

Required information

The completed application must be signed by the intended licensee and lodged with:

  • supporting documentation, which is the original or the original certified document (where a copy is requested this does not apply)
  • explosives management plan.

See What is required for explosives licences? for more information on security clearances.

Failure to provide the required documentation will delay processing of applications. Most applications are dealt with within 20 business days.

Application fee

For information regarding application and renewal fees please see Schedule of fees and charges below.

For information regarding application fees please see Schedule of fees and charges.

Lodging the application

You must apply online via the Safety Regulation System (SRS).

This information can then be mailed to:

Resources Safety
Department of Mines and Petroleum
Mineral House 100 Plain Street
East Perth WA 6004

Or lodged in person to Resources Safety at 1 Adelaide Terrace, East Perth WA 6004.

Related information

Notification of changes of details

If you hold an explosives driver licence, and have access to SRS, you can log on to SRS to amend any of your personal details. Any change will flow through to other licences you hold.

Reporting an incident

Explosives import/export licence holders are responsible for reporting accidents and incidents arising from their activities in Western Australia, including unexplained losses or theft.

Other guidance

Explosives management plan - guide - 631 Kb

This guide and its accompanying template will assist industry to prepare an explosives management plan (EMP). Use of the template is not mandatory but will ensure consistency in its application and streamline the review process.

Explosives management plan - template - 43 Kb

This template records details of the individual nominated responsible for the safety and security of explosives for the licence to which this EMP relates.

For more information on explosive management plans see What is required for explosives licences?

Applicable legislation

For any enquiries please contact Dangerous Goods Licensing:
Phone: (08) 9358 8001