Applying for a fireworks operator licence
When is this licence required?
A fireworks operator licence is needed to:
- possess, set up and initiate outdoor fireworks at a display covered under a fireworks event permit (while under the employ or supervision of a licensed fireworks contractor)
- initiate firecracker chains at ceremonial occasions under a ceremonial fireworks notice provided to the WA Police and the local council
- initiate indoor fireworks under a permit issued by Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES).
The fireworks operator licence is issued for five years.
The fireworks operator licence does not allow the holder to purchase fireworks or apply for a fireworks event permit.
Who can apply?
Only individuals, not companies or businesses, can be licensed.
The applicant must:
- be at least 18 years of age
- hold a current dangerous goods security card or recognised security clearance
- pass a medical assessment against the standards in Assessing Fitness to Drive - Medical Standards for Commercial and Private Vehicle Drivers not more than six months before the day the application is lodged
- possess competencies acceptable to the department’s Chief Dangerous Goods Officer.
A detailed summary of your experience to demonstrate your competency in the safe handling of pyrotechnic devices.
If you are not resident in Western Australia, but hold a fireworks operator licence in another State or Territory of Australia, or New Zealand, you may apply for mutual recognition of that licence.
For information on mutual recognition refer to Applying for mutual recognition.
Applications for a fireworks operator licence must be accompanied by specific information.
Before completing your application, ensure you have the documents described in Fireworks operator licence - general information and summarised.
|Item||Document details||Date before lodgement|
|Medical certificate||Assessed against the standards in Assessing Fitness to Drive – Medical Standards for Commercial and Private Vehicle Drivers 2016||Not more than 6 months|
|Photograph||Colour passport photo||Recent|
Original or certified copies of documents detailing any conviction and/or charge pending relating to a relevant offence
|Dangerous goods security card||Colour copy of both sites of a valid WA dangerous goods security card or interstate equivalent|
|Proof of identity||
Colour copy of both sides of your motor driver’s licence (MDL) from any Australian State or Territory or New Zealand or:
The completed and signed application must be lodged with the supporting documentation, which is:
- the original or the original certified document (where a copy is requested this does not apply)
- dated not more than six months before the day your application is received by the department.
Failure to provide the required documentation will delay processing of applications. Most applications are dealt with within 20 business days.
The licence fee payable covers the 5 year period of the licence.
Go to Schedule of fees and charges for more information on licence fees.
Notification of changes of details
The Chief Dangerous Goods Officer must be notified within 14 days of any material changes to the details on a licence or registration.
Reporting an incident
Fireworks operators are responsible for reporting accidents and incidents arising from their activities, including unexplained losses or theft.
For any enquiries please contact Dangerous Goods Licensing:
Phone: (08) 6251 2300