Applying for a security sensitive ammonium nitrate import/export licence

Security risk substance import export licence - application form - 311 Kb

This form or template is required to apply for a security risk substance import export licence.

When is this licence required?

  • A security sensitive ammonium nitrate import/export licence is required to:
    • import or export security sensitive ammonium nitrate overseas to or from Western Australia
    • supply a security sensitive ammonium nitrate to others who are authorised to possess it.
  • The security sensitive ammonium nitrate import/export licence is issued for five years.

Each licence is endorsed for a specific type and quantity of security sensitive ammonium nitrate, and for any conditions considered necessary.

Licence holders are not permitted to import or export any security sensitive ammonium nitrate that is not endorsed on the licence.

The import/export licence does not allow the holder to transport, use, store or manufacture a security sensitive ammonium nitrate without additional security sensitive ammonium nitrate licences.

Overseas import or export notification

An import notice or export notice must be lodged with the department’s Chief Officer at least seven days in advance of any consignment of security sensitive ammonium nitrate coming from or going overseas.

Licence holders must maintain written records for a minimum of 5 years from the date of all consignments imported or exported.

Movement of a security sensitive ammonium nitrate within Australia and overseas

Which situations require a licence or import/export notice?

Where is the security sensitive ammonium nitrate coming from or going to? Approved security sensitive ammonium nitrate Substances containing more than 45 per cent ammonium nitrate that are not an approved security sensitive ammonium nitrate

Requires a security sensitive ammonium nitrate import/export licence.

All requirements of the Dangerous Goods Safety (Storage and Handling of Non-explosives) Regulations 2007, such as special berth approvals, are additional.

An import notice or export notice lodged with the Chief Officer for every consignment, including:

  • a material safety data sheet (MSDS) for the security sensitive ammonium nitrate
  • a certificate of analysis of the security sensitive ammonium nitrate signed by the licence holder.
Import and export is prohibited
Between WA and other States and Territories in Australia

Security sensitive ammonium nitrate import/export licence is not required for the possession and movement in and out of WA, but other dangerous goods licences may apply. For example:

  • interstate security sensitive ammonium nitrate transport licence
  • WA security sensitive ammonium nitrate transport licence
  • dangerous goods transport licence
  • shotfiring licence
  • explosives or security sensitive ammonium nitrate storage licences
  • security sensitive ammonium nitrate fertiliser licence.
Manufacture and sale is not permitted in WA


Consignment entry and exit points

Security sensitive ammonium nitrate imported and exported to and from Western Australia go through various ports or airports. Each location differs in respect to:

  • loading and unloading facilities
  • load limits on explosives based on safety distances
  • security arrangements
  • transit storage facilities
  • transport routes from the ports or airports.

The types and quantities of security sensitive ammonium nitrate being imported or exported may preclude the use of certain ports or airports. As such, applicants may nominate more than one entry point on their application.

Further information: Importers and exporters of ammonium nitrate should liaise with the relevant port or airport authorities to ensure the entry points they wish to use are approved to handle ammonium nitrate and the quantities involved.

The Department of Transport has information on the four port authorities in Western Australia that manage the State's major ports.

There are general criteria regarding the transportation of dangerous goods and explosives. These are addressed in What are the route restrictions for dangerous goods and explosives transport?

Who can apply?

Licences can be granted to an individual, body corporate or partnership.

Individuals must be at least 21 years of age.

Use of an accredited consultant

To develop the submission, it is recommended that those intending to apply for a licence engage a dangerous goods consultant accredited to prepare and submit security sensitive ammonium nitrate applications. The consultant will normally complete the application form on the applicant’s behalf, but the intended licensee must sign the application.

Applications submitted without accredited consultant endorsement may take up to three months to process and a checking fee applies. Deficient submissions will take longer to process.

Required information

The completed application must be signed by the intended licensee and lodged with:

  • dangerous goods security card
  • supporting documentation, which is the original or the original certified document (where a copy is requested this does not apply)
  • security plan.

See What is required for security sensitive ammonium nitrate licences? for more information on security plans and security clearances.

Security risk assessment and security plan template - SRS storage - 205 Kb

Use of this template is not mandatory; however, the security plan should sufficiently address the national Ammonium Nitrate Guidance Note No. 2, Storage.

Further information: It is important that the particular details of the products to be imported or exported are accurately described. Applicants should refer to products by the authorised name, and include the Classification Code and the United Nations (UN) Number.

Failure to provide the required documentation will delay processing of applications. Most applications are dealt with within 20 business days.

Application fee

Only the licence fee for the first year of the licence is to be lodged with the application. Licence fees for subsequent years will be billed annually.

A checking fee:

  • does not apply if a consultant endorses your proposal as complying with the regulations.
  • applies for applications without accredited consultant endorsement.

The checking fee is equal to the licence fee payable with the application.

For information regarding application fees please see Schedule of fees and charges.

Lodging the application

The completed application form, together with relevant documents and the fee payable to the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety, is to be mailed to:

Resources Safety
Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS)
Mineral House 100 Plain Street 
East Perth WA 6004

Or lodged in person at:

Resources Safety
Level 2, 1 Adelaide Terrace
East Perth WA 6004

Office hours: 8.30 am to 4.30 pm

Contact details

For any enquiries please contact Dangerous Goods Licensing:
Phone: (08) 9358 8001

Related information

Notification of changes of details

The Chief Dangerous Goods Officer must be notified within 14 days of any material changes to the details on a licence or registration.

Reporting an incident

Security risk substance import/export licence holders are responsible for reporting accidents and incidents arising from their activities in Western Australia, including unexplained losses or theft.

Other guidance

Overview of security sensitive ammonium nitrate regulations - information sheet - 290 Kb

This document is for guidance only and the definitive statutory requirements are contained in the Dangerous Goods Safety (Security Sensitive Ammonium Nitrate) Regulations 2007.

Dangerous Goods Safety (Security Sensitive Ammonium Nitrate) Regulations 2007 - information sheet - 265 Kb

This information sheet explains the main amendments in effect from 1 January 2014 under the Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulations 2007 (Explosives Regulations) and Dangerous Goods Safety (Security Sensitive Ammonium Nitrate) Regulations 2007.

AS 3846 The handling and transport of dangerous cargoes in port areas is available from Standards Australia.

International Maritime Solid Bulk Cargoes Code (IMSBC Code) is available from the International Maritime Organization. This replaces the Code of Safe Practice for Solid Bulk Cargoes (BC Code) 2004.

Applicable legislation