Applying for a shotfirer licence

Shotfiring licence - general information - 49 Kb

The following information is to guide you on the requirements for applying for and renewing shotfiring licences.

When is this licence required?

A shotfiring licence is required to to blast rock or similar solid material, or to damage, destroy or demolish any thing on or under land or water.

The shotfiring licence is issued for five years.

  • Licence holders are able to:
  • purchase
  • store (limited quantities)
  • possess and transport (limited to Category 2 quantities) explosives.

They are also able to manufacture ammonium nitrate/fuel oil (ANFO) , at the place where it will be used, without holding an explosives manufacturing licence.

The shotfiring licence does not allow the holder to use or possess fireworks, theatrical or special pyrotechnics.

Who can apply?

Only individuals, not companies or businesses, can be licensed.

The applicants must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • hold a Western Australian dangerous goods security card or recognised security clearance
  • have applied for a Western Australian dangerous goods security card
  • pass a medical assessment against the standards in Assessing Fitness to Drive – Medical Standards for Commercial and Private Vehicle Drivers not more than six months before the day the application is lodged
  • Be trained in the relevant resources and infrastructure industry training package units of competency for blasting

Medical fitness

Dangerous goods and explosives medical certificate – application form - 48 Kb

Print out the dangerous goods and explosives licence medical certificate and take to your medical practitioner to complete. When making an appointment with your medical practitioner, inform them the medical assessment is for a dangerous goods licence.

Assessing Fitness to Drive - Medical Standards for Commercial and Private Vehicle Drivers is available from Austroads.

Shotfirer training

Training requirements for shotfiring licences - information sheet - 52 Kb

This information sheet outlines the training requirements for obtaining or renewing a shotfiring licence in Western Australia.

Recognised shotfirer training course providers - list - 232 Kb

The following information sheet lists only those training course providers that are accredited to deliver national units of competency for blasting (RIIBLA).

Mutual recognition

Licences issued in other Australian state and territories are recognised under Western Australian regulations. There is no requirement to apply for mutual recognition of these licences to work in Western Australia as a shotfirer.

For information on mutual recognition refer to Applying for mutual recognition.

Required information

Applications for a shotfiring licence must be accompanied by specific information.

Before completing your application ensure you have images of the documents described in Shotfiring licence - general information and summarised in the table below.

Item Document details     Date before lodgement date
Competency training Statement of Attainment Not more than six months
Medical certificate Assessed against the standards in Assessing Fitness to Drive – Medical Standards for Commercial and Private Vehicle Drivers Not more than six months
Photograph Passport photo Recent
Relevant offence Documents detailing any conviction and/or charge pending relating to a relevant offence N/A


Failure to provide the required documentation will delay processing of applications. Most applications are dealt with within 20 business days.

Application fee

The licence fee payable covers the 5 year period of the licence.

For information regarding application fees please see Schedule of fees and charges.

Lodging the application

If you have an existing SRS Ex account, Log on to SRS to begin application.
Enter your Ex-Account number and password. Follow the online instructions to complete your application

If you are a new user go to SRS new user
Register for an ex-Account number

Related information

Notification of changes of details

If you have access to SRS, you can log on to SRS to amend any of your personal details. Any change will flow through to other licences you hold.

Applicable legislation

Overview of explosives regulations - information sheet - 267 Kb

This document is for guidance only and the definitive statutory requirements are contained in the Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulations 2007 (the Explosives Regulations).

For any enquiries please contact Dangerous Goods Licensing:
Phone: (08) 9358 8001