When is this licence required?
A shotfiring licence is required to to blast rock or similar solid material, or to damage, destroy or demolish any thing on or under land or water.
The shotfiring licence is issued for five years.
- Licence holders are able to:
- store (limited quantities)
- possess and transport (limited to Category 2 quantities) explosives.
They are also able to manufacture ammonium nitrate/fuel oil (ANFO) , at the place where it will be used, without holding an explosives manufacturing licence.
The shotfiring licence does not allow the holder to use or possess fireworks, theatrical or special pyrotechnics.
Who can apply?
Only individuals, not companies or businesses, can be licensed.
The applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- hold a Western Australian dangerous goods security card or recognised security clearance
- have applied for a Western Australian dangerous goods security card
- pass a medical assessment against the standards in Assessing Fitness to Drive – Medical Standards for Commercial and Private Vehicle Drivers not more than six months before the day the application is lodged
- Be trained in the relevant resources and infrastructure industry training package units of competency for blasting
Assessing Fitness to Drive - Medical Standards for Commercial and Private Vehicle Drivers is available from Austroads.
Licences issued in other Australian state and territories are recognised under Western Australian regulations. There is no requirement to apply for mutual recognition of these licences to work in Western Australia as a shotfirer.
For information on mutual recognition refer to Applying for mutual recognition.
Applications for a shotfiring licence must be accompanied by specific information.
Before completing your application ensure you have images of the documents described in Shotfiring licence - general information and summarised in the table below.
|Item||Document details||Date before lodgement date|
|Competency training||Statement of Attainment||Not more than six months|
|Medical certificate||Assessed against the standards in Assessing Fitness to Drive – Medical Standards for Commercial and Private Vehicle Drivers||Not more than six months|
|Relevant offence||Documents detailing any conviction and/or charge pending relating to a relevant offence||N/A|
Failure to provide the required documentation will delay processing of applications. Most applications are dealt with within 20 business days.
The licence fee payable covers the 5 year period of the licence.
For information regarding application fees please see Schedule of fees and charges.
Lodging the application
If you have an existing SRS Ex account, Log on to SRS to begin application.
Enter your Ex-Account number and password. Follow the online instructions to complete your application
If you are a new user go to SRS new user
Register for an ex-Account number
Notification of changes of details
If you have access to SRS, you can log on to SRS to amend any of your personal details. Any change will flow through to other licences you hold.
For any enquiries please contact Dangerous Goods Licensing:
Phone: (08) 9358 8001