Applying for dangerous goods exemption, determination or approval

Before applying

Prospective applicants should contact Resources Safety before submitting an application to ensure it is necessary and addresses the subject in the most appropriate manner.

The form provided may be used to apply for an exemption, determination or approval. It is essential that the items listed are addressed in sufficient detail for the application to be processed and a decision made. Additional information may be requested from the applicant if the detail is insufficient.

For national dangerous goods land transport determinations, please check the register of the Competent Authorities Panel (CAP) as these also apply under Western Australian law.

Fees apply to requests for an approval.


Exemptions may be requested by anyone for review and a decision by the Chief Officer or Minister as appropriate.

Transport exemptions outside Western Australia

Where a transport exemption is requested for national effect or beyond Western Australia’s border, the exemption must be considered and reviewed by the Competent Authority Panel (CAP), which is a national body.

The application form can be requested by emailing


The Chief Officer may make determinations in respect to dangerous goods, packaging, vehicles routes, times and other matters.

Refer to rr. 17, 18, 19 and 20 of the Dangerous Goods Safety (Road and Rail Transport of Non-Explosives) Regulations 2007 for greater detail.


An approval in respect of:

  • training courses
  • design of packaging
  • overpacks
  • segregation devices
  • methods of segregation
  • emergency information

can be requested in writing from the Chief Dangerous Goods Officer.

Refer to rr. 15, 55, 56, 59, 137, 138, 162 and 194 of the Dangerous Goods Safety (Road and Rail Transport of Non-Explosives) Regulations 2007 for greater detail.

There is a separate approvals process for those seeking to be an approved responder to dangerous goods incidents or approved training provider for dangerous goods transport.

Application fee

See a Schedule of fees and charges for the approval fee.

Lodging the application

The completed and signed application form must be accompanied by:

  • supporting documentation
  • the fee (if applying for an approval)
    • by cheque or money order made payable to the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
    • cash payments can only be made when lodging in person.

This can be mailed to:

Director, Dangerous Goods Safety
Resources Safety
The Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Mineral House 100 Plain Street
East Perth WA 6004

Or lodged in person to Resources Safety at 1 Adelaide Terrace, East Perth WA 6004.

For any enquiries please contact Resources Safety
Phone: (08) 9358 8001