Applying to have an explosive authorised

Application for authorisation of an explosive - application form - 311 Kb

This form or template is required to apply for an authorisation of an explosive.

When is authorisation required?

An explosive may not be used in Western Australia unless it has been authorised under the explosives regulations.

New formulations of authorised explosives require authorisation as new explosives.

To manufacture an as yet unauthorised explosive, a test permit must be obtained to allow testing and gather the information required for the authorisation process.

Authorisation is provided for in the Dangerous Goods Safety Act 2004 and prescribed in detail in the Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulations 2007.

Who can apply?

Applications to have explosives products authorised may be submitted by an individual, body corporate or partnership. Although any person may apply, most applicants are explosives companies involved in the import, manufacture and supply of explosives.

Applicants must demonstrate:

  • a legitimate need for the explosive
  • that the explosive can be safely handled, stored and transported by suitably licensed people.

Required information

The supporting documentation lodged with the application can be the original or the original certified document (where a copy is requested this does not apply).

An application for an explosives authorisation must meet the requirements of r. 30 in the Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulations 2007 as set out in the application form.

Failure to provide the required documentation will delay processing of applications. Most applications are dealt with within 20 business days.

Application fee

See below:

For information regarding application fees please see Schedule of fees and charges.

Lower fees apply for the authorisation of explosives that have already been authorised in another Australian jurisdiction.

Lodging the application

The completed application form, together with relevant documents and the fee payable to the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety, is to be mailed to:

Resources Safety
Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS)
Mineral House 100 Plain Street 
East Perth WA 6004

Or lodged in person at:

Resources Safety
Level 2, 1 Adelaide Terrace
East Perth WA 6004

Office hours: 8.30 am to 4.30 pm

Contact details

For any enquiries please contact Dangerous Goods Licensing:
Phone: (08) 9358 8001