Copies of these reports are available from Resources Safety by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org except the Hicks Report (2007).
Statutory reviews - Mines Safety and Inspection Act 1994
A review of the operation and effectiveness of the Mines Safety and Inspection Act 1994 is required to be undertaken every five years as practicable. The reviews from the last decade are listed below.
Laing Report (2003)
The first review of the Mines Safety and Inspection Act 1994 was conducted by Mr R Laing in 2003.
Kenner Report (2009)
The second statutory review was conducted by Commissioner S J Kenner of the Western Australian Industrial Relations Commission and tabled in Parliament on 8 April 2009.
The review was also required to take into account the:
- areas of the legislation that could be improved, such as the application to rail safety, mine sites during construction and interaction with other occupational safety and health legislation
- goals and strategies of the National Mine Safety Framework
- the recent Hicks Report that recommended the introduction of a safety case regime into the mining industry
- recommendations outstanding from the Laing Report in relation to the review of Parts 3 and 4 of the Act
- the recent Hooker Report review of the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984.
Statutory review - Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984
Hooker Report (2006)
The report prepared by Mr Richard Hooker in 2006 is the fourth such review of the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984.
Deloitte Report (2016)
The 2016 Mines Safety Branch resourcing and funding independent assessment was undertaken by Deloitte in March 2016. The independent assessment of the Mines Safety Branch reviewed its funding and resourcing. The findings and recommendations of the Deloitte Report, in conjunction with the Department of Mines and Petroleum’s response to recommendations is available below.
Ritter Report (2004)
On 15 July 2004, the then-Minister for State Development appointed Mr Mark Ritter to conduct an inquiry into the occupational health and safety systems and practices of BHP Billiton Iron Ore and Boodarie Iron sites in Western Australia and related matters, and report on 12 November 2004.
Hicks Report (2007)
The Feasibility Study of Resources Safety in Western Australia was undertaken in 2006-07 by Mr Stuart Hicks. Mr Hicks reported to the then-Minister for Employment Protection and Minister for Resources.