DMIRS offers FREE training in databases and online systems. The training is in the form of a presentation, with hands-on interaction in most systems.
- navigating the department’s website
- searching for geoscience publications using the eBookshop
- finding digital datasets using the Data and Software Centre
- searching for open-file mineral exploration reports using WAMEX
- searching the mineral drillholes and geochemistry databases
- using the interactive map viewers, GeoVIEW.WA and TENGRAPH Web
- GeoMap.WA, a standalone GIS viewer for Windows.
A desktop computer will be available for each participant.
The Perth training has been divided into separate sessions: one for beginners and one for advanced participants.
Dates for 2019
Thursday 14 March
Thursday 18 July
Thursday 21 November
Venue: No. 1 Adelaide Terrace, East Perth
ADVANCED — morning
9:00 – 10:00 GeoVIEW.WA
10:00 – 10:30 Drillholes and Geochemistry Search
10:30 – 10:45 Tea break
10:45 – 11:45 TENGRAPH Web
11:45 – 12:00 Questions
NOTE: In order to book in for the Advanced course students must know how to do the following in GeoVIEW.WA and TENGRAPH Web:
- Zoom in/out
- Turn on layers
- Add drawings and measurements on the map
- Do a simple search
- Create a printout of the map
- Add coordinate readouts
BEGINNERS — afternoon
1:00 – 1:15 Welcome and web site, including eBookshop
1:15 – 2:00 GeoVIEW.WA
2:00 – 2:15 Tea break
2:15 – 2:45 WAMEX Search
2:45 – 3:15 TENGRAPH Web
3:15 – 3:45 GeoMap.WA
3:45 – 4:15 Questions
Instructions to participants for Perth training
To facilitate a swift sign-in and prompt start, please arrive 15 minutes before your session. Go in the front doors to 1 Adelaide Terrace (Causeway end), pass the reception area on the right, turn left at the ramp to the DMIRS reception area. Tell the receptionist you are there for DMIRS training and you will be taken to the training room.
The most convenient parking is in the City of Perth Car Parks, either next to the Tattersalls Bowling Club in Plain Street, or the Queen's Gardens Carpark (on the north side of the gardens). Please see the map for their location.
Please confirm attendance and advise which sessions you wish to attend. If you find that you cannot attend for any reason, please let us know with some notice so we can let someone on the waiting list fill your place.
The Kalgoorlie training is open to all.
Venue: 34 Cheetham Street, Kalgoorlie, central campus for the Goldfields Institute of Technology, Kalgoorlie
Dates for 2019
Wednesday 27 March
Thursday 28 March
Thursday 28 November (on the same day as GSWA Kalgoorlie Open Day)
Instructions to participants for Kalgoorlie training
Once you register, detailed information will be sent to you via email. See the Kalgoorlie location map and instructions to the right.
Download these manuals and work through useful examples
TENGRAPH Web Demonstration Videos
These training / demonstration videos provide an overview of the features and how to use TENGRAPH Web.
Follow the links provided below:
- General overview of the TENGRAPH Web Silverlight version (Video link) (Transcript)
- The TENGRAPH tools you are most likely to use (like searching for a mining tenement) are found in the "I want to…” menu. (Video link) (Transcript)
- This video demonstrates how to turn on/off TENGRAPH map layers, legend and tenement themes. (Video link) (Transcript)
- How to plot points and polygons using map coordinates or snapping to existing tenement corners. (Video link) (Transcript)
- This video demonstrates the Google Earth link, Print Object details, Tenement History and other tools available from the Results drop-down menu. (Video link) (Transcript)
Several training videos are provided below:
WA Geology – Introduction video
GeoMap.WA - Adding map layers video
GeoMap.WA - Changing symbology video
GeoMap.WA - GPS tracking video
GeoMap.WA - Searching by area video
GeoMap.WA - Searching by text video
Download these manuals and work through useful examples: