The Minerals Geoscience section studies mineral systems (geologic factors that control the generation and preservation of mineral deposits) on both an observational and theoretical basis. It aims to provide timely and relevant data, information and knowledge to the mineral exploration industry, investors, researchers and government.
Current work focuses on the critical minerals and battery metals needed to make the transition to a clean energy economy. Commodities such as manganese, vanadium, lithium, nickel, cobalt and rare earth elements need to be produced in much larger quantities to sustain the global energy transition. Although Western Australia is already a significant producer of lithium, nickel, cobalt and many other critical minerals, there is a need, and the potential, for, more discoveries in the State.
Mineral Systems Atlas
To help explorers with regional-scale targeting, the Mineral Systems Atlas (MSA) provides exploration-relevant spatial data in a logical conceptual framework. The MSA is a work in progress, with additional mineral systems and information within each system to be added when available. Each mineral system is explained in more detail through an online Guide and a standalone Record publication, with an emphasis on the critical processes and associated mappable proxies needed to form potentially economic mineralisation. Experts in each system are consulted and, increasingly, broader industry stakeholder input is also obtained.
These resources provide a useful synopsis of current knowledge for explorers, students and researchers alike. Links to download the digital datasets and associated documentation are provided. Find useful spatial information to accompany the MSA in GeoVIEW.WA. Download digital data and much more from both platforms via the DMIRS Data and Software Centre.
The team collaborates with other sections within the division and other government and academic institutions to leverage output through joint research initiatives. These include deposit- to district-scale mineralisation studies (involving mapping, drillcore logging, hyperspectral analysis, whole-rock geochemistry, geochronology, isotopes, fluid inclusions, microprobe / TIMA-based mineral chemistry studies and other techniques). From these studies, we can better understand and constrain the temporal evolution of mineralising events, the distal footprints of mineral systems, and gain an insight into other mappable controls on mineralisation.
Information collected from all sources, including other State and Commonwealth agencies, industry stakeholders and from participation in external events, helps us to keep abreast of industry trends and to shape our research and promotional activities.
The Geological Survey of Western Australia (GSWA) LinkedIn page is the best place to discover new products and to be informed of current activities. Further information is provided in GSWA’s quarterly Fieldnotes newsletter. Sign up to the GSWA eNewsletter to get copies sent straight to your inbox.
Publications are available as free downloads from the eBookshop, under the heading ‘Book series – Records or Reports’ with promotional material under ‘Posters and flyers’. The team also publishes USB data packages that can be purchased via the eBookshop. Links to important publications released over the last decade are provided below.
- Report 237 Deep-learning identification of anomalous data in geochemical datasets
- Report 233 Critical metals in laterite related to pegmatite mineral systems of the western Yilgarn
- Report 223 Alteration and Cu–Au mineralization at the Obelisk prospect, Paterson Orogen
- Report 212 Provenance fingerprinting of gold from the Kurnalpi Goldfield
- Report 209 Syngenetic gold mineralization at Mount Clement
- Report 198 Komatiite characteristics of the Fisher East nickel sulfide prospects
- Report 179 Diamond exploration and prospectivity of Western Australia
- Report 167 The geology, tectonic evolution and gold mineralization of the Lawlers region
- Report 165 VMS mineralization in the Yilgarn Craton, Western Australia
- Report 163 Exploration targeting for BIF-hosted iron deposits in the Pilbara Craton
- Report 159 Prospectivity analysis of the Halls Creek Orogen, Western Australia
- Report 158 Deposit-scale targeting for gold in the Yilgarn Craton: Part 3
- Report 156 Integrated spectral mapping, Nanjilgardy Fault
- Report 155 Unravelling the upper-amphibolite facies Glenburgh gold deposit
- Report 145 High grade Au deposits: processes to prediction
- Report 142 Mineral prospectivity of the King Leopold Orogen and Lennard Shelf
- Report 141 Assessing the potential for VMS mineralization at Weld Range
- Report 132 District-scale targeting for gold in the Yilgarn Craton: Part 2
- Report 131 The Yuinmery volcanogenic massive sulfide prospects
- Report 125 Regional-scale targeting for gold in the Yilgarn Craton: Part 1
- Report 123 3D architecture, structural evolution, and mineral prospectivity of the Gascoyne
- Report 117 Mineral systems analysis of the west Musgrave Province
- Report 113 An integrated geological and geophysical study of the west Arunta Orogen
- Record 2022/15 Evaporite brine-related potash: a mineral systems analysis
- Record 2022/14 Komatiite-hosted Ni–Cu–PGE deposits: a mineral systems analysis
- Record 2022/5 Manganese: a mineral system analysis
- Record 2022/2 Geology and mineralization potential of the Gerry Well greenstone belt
- Record 2021/10 Iron-formations: a mineral systems analysis
- Record 2020/9 Layered intrusion-hosted vanadium: a mineral system analysis
- Record 2020/7 Rare-element pegmatites in the Mineral Systems Atlas
- Record 2018/8 Geology, resources and exploration potential of the Ellendale diamond project
- Record 2017/16 Data methodologies applied in the Western Australian diamond exploration package
- Record 2017/12 Controls on hydrothermal alterations and gold mineralisation at Coyote deposit
- Record 2017/10 Alteration associated with the Austin-Quinns VMS deposits
- Record 2017/9 Metamorphosed VMS mineralization at Wheatley, southwest Western Australia
- Record 2016/16 Mapping iron ore alteration patterns in BIF using hyperspectral data
- Record 2016/14 Mineralogy of gold from the Paulsens and Mount Olympus deposits
- Record 2015/3 Alteration mineral zonation associated with high-grade BIF-hosted iron ore
- Record 2013/12 The ironstone veins of the Gifford Creek ferrocarbonatite complex
- Record 2012/12 Hyperspectral characterization of Rare Earth Minerals
- Critical Minerals Geological Exploration Package
- Compilation of HyLogger records, 2020
- Diamond exploration and prospectivity of Western Australia
- Manganese deposits of the Pilbara and Capricorn regions, 2016
- Prospectivity analysis of the Halls Creek Orogen, Western Australia
- Mineral prospectivity of the King Leopold Orogen and Lennard Shelf
- District-scale targeting for gold in the Yilgarn Craton: Part 2
- Regional-scale targeting for gold in the Yilgarn Craton: Part 1
- 3D architecture, structural evolution, and mineral prospectivity of the Gascoyne
- Mineral systems analysis of the west Musgrave Province
For more information please contact: