Please refer to the information below:
The completed application form must be accompanied by:
- evidence of attaining minimum age of 24 years (either a photocopy of a passport or driver’s licence)
- certified copy of appropriate degree with the academic transcript for one of
- Bachelor of Engineering in Mining from any Australian University
- Diploma in Mining or Engineering from any recognised Australian technical institute
- Associate Diploma in Surface Mining from any recognised Australian tertiary education institution
- Degree or Diploma in Geology, or in mining or an earth sciences related discipline, that is considered by the Board to be appropriate
- other qualifications that the Board considers to be equivalent to those listed above
- copy of a character reference
- copy of current first aid certificate
- evidence of two years’ experience on a mine site, which must include
- one year of first-hand practical experience in quarry pit operations
- minimum of three months’ practical experience in the use of explosives and blasting agents in a pit.
If the degree or diploma is from a non-Australian or New Zealand institution, a letter of assessment from the Department of Training and Workforce Development is required.
Evidence of experience
What is considered?
First-hand practical experience in production operations should include tasks such as blasting, operation of mobile equipment such as trucks, loaders, dozers, water carts, graders and excavators, drilling and de-watering.
Experience in areas such as grade control, supervision and surveying is adequate to satisfy the requirement for ‘two years in and about a pit’ experience. However, such tasks do not give sufficient insight into the many problems that may be faced by the operators in production.
Letters confirming experience
- Provided on company letterhead and signed off by a responsible officer of the company in which experience has been gained.
- Include precise details of the types of duties performed, types of explosives used, and the dates associated with each.
- May be acceptable only if the original document from a mine confirming experience cannot be obtained.
Inquiries, if conducted, to establish the accuracy of experience given in the form of a Statutory Declaration may delay finalisation of a decision on the application.
For information on who can witness an application and any other statutory declarations, refer to the Department of the Attorney General.
Venue and date
Applicants must nominate an examination venue.
Past exam papers
Information can be found on past exam papers below.
A copy of the relevant legislation can be ordered, downloaded or viewed online at the State Law Publisher.
Re-sitting the exam
Those wishing to re-sit the exam who have previously submitted the relevant documentation are not required to resubmit the documentation. A new application form must be lodged along with the application fee to re-apply. All requirements for a certificate must be completed within five years.
For information regarding applications fees refer to the Schedule of fees and charges. The fee payable covers the 5 year period of the card.
Please see Schedule of fees and charges.
Lodging the application
The completed and signed application form must be accompanied by
- required information
- the fee
- this can be paid by credit card (details on application form)
- by cheque or money order made payable to the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
- cash payments can only be made when lodging in person.
This information should be mailed before the closing date given in the examinations schedule to:
Board of Examiners
The Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Mineral House 100 Plain Street
East Perth WA 6004
Or lodged in person Resources Safety, 1 Adelaide Terrace, East Perth WA 6004.
If you have an interstate or New Zealand qualification, you may qualify for mutual recognition.
Refer to Applying for mutual recognition for more information.
Contact the Executive Officer to the Board of Examiners
Phone: (08) 9358 8001 (select option 6 - you can make your selection at anytime)
Fax: (08) 9358 8000