Referring a notice for review by the State mining engineer

Referring an improvement or prohibition notice for review by the State mining engineer should be submitted online using the Safety Regulation System (SRS).

Who can apply?

The person issued with the notice, the mine manager or the principal employer may refer the notice to the State Mining Engineer for review.

  • For prohibtion notices - This should be done within 7 days of the date on the notice
  • For improvement notices - This must be done before the remedy date on the notice

A printout of the relevant SRS ‘related communication’ sent to the Registered Manager advising of the notice referral, must be affixed to a page in the mine record book.

What happens during the review process?

A prohibition notice remains in effect, and a improvement notice is suspended, until the State mining engineer finalises the review or gives permission for certain activities.

The State mining engineer’s decision may be referred to the Occupational Safety and Health Tribunal. If there is no referral, the notice must be complied with. Failure to comply is an offence under the Mines Safety and Inspection Act 1994.


For enquiries please contact either the District Inspector for the region or the inspector who has issued the notice.
Phone: 1800SAFEMINE (1800 7233 64)

To contact the relevant inspectorate office, use Regional inspectorate boundaries for mining operations.