Who issues codes of practice and standards?
Codes of practice and standards are approved and gazetted by the Minister for Mines and Petroleum under section 20 of the Dangerous Goods Safety Act 2004.
Codes of practice and standards issued under the Dangerous Goods Safety Act 2004 may also apply to mining and petroleum operations and major hazard facilities.
All codes of practice and standards gazetted for use in Western Australia are available for viewing at the Resources Safety office:
1 Adelaide Terrace
East Perth WA 6004
Office hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Prescribed codes of practice and standards
Some codes of practice or standards are prescriptive as they are mentioned in the regulations in their entirety, in part, or indirectly (such as, ‘refer to code of practice’). These publications are listed below under their relevant subject area(s).
Storage and handling
AS 4897 The design, installation and operation of underground petroleum storage systems is available from Standards Australia.
The Australian Dangerous Goods Code is available from the National Transport Commission.
Explosives and fireworks
The latest edition of the code of practice from the Australian Explosives Industry and Safety Group Inc. (AEISG) (formerly Australian Explosives Manufacturers Safety Committee) is available here with AEISG’s permission.
Visit Australian Explosives Industry and Safety Group Inc. (AEISG) for more information.
The following Australian Standards are available from Standards Australia.
- AS 2187.0 Explosives - Storage, transport and use - Terminology
- AS 2187.1 Explosives - Storage, transport and use - Storage
- AS 2187.2 Explosives - Storage and use - Use of explosives
Approved codes of practice
The list of approved codes of practice under the Dangerous Goods Safety Act 2004 is available from the Parliamentary Counsel’s web site.
Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
An updated list of approved codes of practice under the Dangerous Goods Safety Act 2004 were gazetted on 28 August 2020.
You can search for codes of practice in the Guidance area and download them as a PDF.
Some dangerous goods safety publications are available free of charge. You can Request hard copies of safety publications.
Safe Work Australia
The National code of practice for the control of major hazard facilities [NOHSC: 2016 (1996)], originally published by the National Occupational Health and Safety Commission (NOHSC), is available from Safe Work Australia.
National guidance notes supporting the COAG agreement of 25 June 2004 against terrorism use of ammonium nitrate
Australian Explosives Industry and Safety Group
The latest edition codes of practice from the Australian Explosives Industry and Safety Group Inc. (AEISG) (formerly Australian Explosives Manufacturers Safety Committee) are available here with AEISG’s permission.
Center for Chemical Process Safety
Layer of Protection Analysis: Simplified Process Risk Assessment can be purchased from the American Institute of Chemical Engineers.
Australian Standards are available from Standards Australia.
AS 4326 is not applicable to solid ammonium nitrate. Refer to the Department’s code of practice available for the safe storage of solid ammonium nitrate.
Asia Industrial Gases Association
The following codes of practice are available from Asia Industrial Gases Association.
- AIGA 051/08 Code of Practice Phosphine (harmonised publication)
- AIGA 050/08 Code of Practice Arsine (harmonised publication)
- AIGA 081/13 Safe practices for the storage and handling of nitrous oxide (harmonised publications)
- AIGA 022/13 Code of Practice Acetylene
- AIGA 068/10 Carbon dioxide (harmonised publication)
American Petroleum Institute (API)
The following standards can be purchased from the American Petroleum Institute (API).
- API RP 521 Guide for pressure relieving and depressuring systems
- API 579-1/ASME FFS-1 Fitness-for-service
- API RP580 Risk-based inspection
- API RP581 Risk-based inspection technology
- API 620 Design and construction of large, welded, low-pressure storage tanks
- API 650 Welded steel tanks for oil storage
- API 652 Lining of aboveground petroleum storage tank bottoms
- API 653 Tank inspection, repair, alteration and reconstruction
- API RP 752 Management of hazards associated with location of process plant permanent buildings
- API RP 753 Management of hazards associated with location of process plant portable buildings.
Steel Tank Institute, USA
The following standards can be purchased from the Steel Tank Institute, USA.
- SP001 Standard for the inspection of aboveground storage tanks
- F921 Standard for aboveground tanks with integral secondary containment
Underwriters Laboratories, USA
The following standards can be purchased from the Underwriters Laboratories, USA.
- UL 142 Standard for steel aboveground tanks for flammable and combustible liquids
- UL 971 Standard for nonmetallic underground piping for flammable liquids.