Mineralisation reports and resource reports for mining lease applications

This information relates to mineralisation reports and resource reports submitted with Mining Lease applications under the Mining Act 1978, Section 74(1)(ca)(ii) and 74(1)(ca)(iii), respectively.

Mining Lease applications made after 1 February 2013 to the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety(DMIRS) must be accompanied by one of the following three types of documentation:

Before applying for a Mining Lease, the most appropriate route should be determined by the applicant, as it is not possible to change from a Mineralisation Report route to a Mining Proposal route or vice versa once the application has been submitted. Discussion with staff at the department on this issue prior to application lodgement is welcome. Please contact us on Mineralisation.Reports@dmirs.wa.gov.au

If the purpose of the Mining Lease application is either to extract basic raw materials such as rock, sand or gravel, or to conduct a small-scale mining operation (and there are insufficient ‘exploration results’ to demonstrate significant mineralisation) then it is recommended that the most appropriate method to proceed is via a Mining Proposal under Section 74(1)(ca)(i). Otherwise, ‘exploration results’ must be obtained prior to lodging the Mining Lease application.

Prior to submitting a Mineralisation Report, the checklist should be completed to ensure all requirements have been addressed.

Search for existing Mineralisation Reports or Resource Reports using the website's Search functionality. Filter search results by entering mining lease number which needs to be prefixed by an uppercase “T” and a colon (“:”).  As an example, to filter for Mineralisation Reports or Resource reports associated with mining lease number “M12/345”, enter “T:M12/345”, followed by Search button using the website search engine - to begin the search process.


If your application relates to a brine, seawater or other water-hosted commodity, applying via the Mining Proposal route is the recommended option. Applicants that have published a JORC-compliant resource report via the ASX that covers the area sought may be able to lodge an application using the Resource Report route. Please contact us to ensure you have all of the information we require before lodging your application as it is not possible to change application routes after lodgement.

Reporting Mineral Discoveries (Minerals of Economic Interest)

Tenement holders have an obligation to promptly report, in writing to the Minister, all minerals of economic interest discovered within their tenements.

The relevant sections of the Mining Act 1978 and/or Mining Regulations 1981 which govern the reporting of minerals of economic interest are listed in Table 1 of the guidance note below. Tenement holders are required to report minerals of economic interest discovered within the following types of tenement:

• exploration licence;
• prospecting licence;
• mining lease;
• miscellaneous licence; and
• general purpose lease.

See more information in the guidance note.

For more information contact: