Notification to the Chief Officer
Places that intend to have quantities of Schedule 1 substances greater than the critical quantity are required to notify the Chief Officer. The critical quantity is 10 per cent of the threshold quantity listed in the regulations.
The notification form is to be completed by the operator of a place which has not been classified as a major hazard facility if:
- the operator intends to store or handle more than the critical quantity of Schedule 1 substances at the place, or
- more than the critical quantity of Schedule 1 substances is present, or likely to be present, and the operator intends to implement a significant change to any plant, process, substance or layout to the place, or
- the Chief Officer directs the operator to provide notification.
This form should be completed by the operator of a place that is not a classified major hazard facility if the operator intends to store or handle more than the critical quantity of Schedule 1 substances.
Determining if a site’s dangerous goods inventory exceeds the critical quantity
Schedule 1 substances at a place may exceed the critical quantity if the operator has decided to:
- implement a change to plant or a process, or
- introduce new plant or a process.
If Schedule 1 substances are likely to be present, the next step is to calculate the site’s inventory of Schedule 1 substances and determine whether it exceeds the critical quantity.
Important note: Regulations 7, 8, 9 and 10, and Tables 1 and 2 of Schedule 1 of the Dangerous Goods Safety (Major Hazard Facilities) Regulations 2007 describe the requirements for determining whether the critical quantity of Schedule 1 substances is or will be exceeded.
Does a site’s dangerous goods inventory exceed the critical quantity? Information on determining the inventory of Schedule 1 substances and calculating the critical quantity.
Lodging the notification
The completed and signed notification form and attachments (if any) should be mailed to:
Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Dangerous Goods Licensing
Locked Bag 100
East Perth WA 6892
For any enquiries please contact Dangerous Goods Licensing:
Phone: (08) 6251 2300