Each year, industry stakeholders are invited to nominate vacant areas to be considered as part of Western Australia’s annual petroleum and geothermal exploration acreage release.
The nomination period for the 2023 petroleum exploration acreage release has closed. Final areas are expected to be announced and open for bidding mid-2023.
The Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS) will advise when nominations for the 2023 geothermal exploration acreage release will open.
The department will assess and consider all submissions. While the nomination of an area does not guarantee its inclusion in the acreage release, it may be considered for potential future release.
DMIRS will take into account such factors as:
- Level of industry interest in exploring the area.
- Previous interest and exploration in the nominated area.
- Conservation estates and other environmental considerations.
- Native Title considerations.
- New data or geologic knowledge affecting increased prospectivity of the area.
If a nominated area is released, there will be a general expectation for the nominee to submit a bid.
Submitting your nomination
The approved manner for nominating an area for release is via a dedicated department mailbox: firstname.lastname@example.org
To formally indicate an expression of interest in a discrete area of WA for petroleum or geothermal exploration, a nomination should include:
- a covering letter in support of the nomination for expression of interest;
- a map, including the block numbers, depicting the area of interest; and
- a report on the subject area.
For more information
If you have any further queries, please contact the Resource Tenure Branch at email@example.com