Working at the department
The department aims to provide services that meet the State Government’s strategic outcomes for Western Australia’s economy through leadership, knowledge and a highly skilled workforce. To be influential and relevant as an organisation, the department needs staff who are:
- strategic and front-line focused
- enterprising and innovative
- flexible with their skills and capabilities
- proactive and collaborative
- responsive and inclusive.
There will be a strong expectation and high value placed on staff, such as:
- taking on personal ownership for the department’s outcomes
- focusing on activities that deliver the highest direct value to our clients
- seeking out and developing partnerships both internally and externally
- working ‘smarter’, finding better ways for doing our work and achieving better outcomes for our clients and the community
- being committed to the department’s values and goals.
Our staff are committed to living by our values: we know our business, treat people well and deliver on commitments.
If you are interested in permanent or long-term contract positions you can apply for vacancies listed under Current vacancies.
We occasionally have short-term (up to six months) contract opportunities available in a range of positions and you can register your interest through the Temporary Employment Register.
A career at the department offers rewarding and competitive remuneration packages and provides a family friendly, work-life balanced environment. Employees at the department may choose to access the following conditions:
- salary packaging – superannuation and novated leases
- part-time work*
- flexible start and finishing times*
- capacity to accrue hours and have rostered days off*
- options for working from home*
- option to purchase additional annual leave
- extensive professional learning and development programs
- social club functions and activities
- specific conditions, allowances and subsidies for regional positions
- award-winning Wellness Program with a year-round calendar filled with health presentations, and healthy activities to come and try, including a corporate walking challenge and a healthy lifestyle program, as well as health and fitness checks, skin cancer screenings, flu vaccinations and community sponsorship opportunities.
* conditions apply
All employees have further access to:
- four weeks annual leave (based on full-time work)
- two Public Service holidays per year
- 13 weeks long service leave (on completion of seven years)
- salary payments, deposited fortnightly into your nominated bank account.
Conditions of employment summary PDF
The department has a work environment where occupational safety and health are of prime importance, along with the principles of equal employment opportunity and diversity.
Furthermore, the department provides an Employee Assistance Program that takes the form of professional counselling for employees and their family members to help resolve personal or work related problems. These services are provided by an external organisation, are free of charge and completely confidential.
Code of Conduct
The Department of Mines and Petroleum is committed to operating as a competent, ethical, transparent and accountable organisation, which provides a satisfying, safe and equitable work environment for its employees.
Visit the department's Code of Conduct page for more information.
Thank you for considering a new career at the department.