Applying for a dangerous goods vehicle licence

Dangerous goods vehicle licence - application form - 350 Kb

This form or template is required to apply for a dangerous goods vehicle licence.

When is this licence required?

Dangerous goods (DG) road tank vehicles based in Western Australia are required to be licensed if the tank has a capacity greater than 500 litres (L).  The type of attachment used to secure the tank to the vehicle does not have any effect on licensing requirements.  A tank may be welded, bolted or held on by twist locks.

However, vehicles that are used to transport portable tanks (isotainers) are not required to be licensed.

For example:

A DG vehicle licence IS required in WA for

  • Bulk tankers
  • Demountable bulk tanks (> 500L) on trailers

DG vehicle licence is NOT required in WA for

  • Flat-bed trailers carting IBCs or packages (< 500L)
  • Rigid trucks carting packages
  • Bulk tipping trailers
  • Drop deck trailers transporting a portable tank (isotainer)

This licence does not apply to vehicles where a removable tank has been bolted on to, or attached to a vehicle and does not structurally comprise part of the vehicle.

Licences can only be issued in the name of the registered owner of the vehicle.

Interstate transport of dangerous goods

Although some vehicles do not require licensing in Western Australia, they may need a Western Australian dangerous goods vehicle licence if they are used to transport dangerous goods to other States or Territories that require such a vehicle to be licensed.

If a vehicle is registered and based in another State or Territory that requires it to have a dangerous goods vehicle licence, the licence must be obtained from that jurisdiction.

When is a dangerous goods vehicle licence not required?

Drivers and vehicles transporting intermediate bulk containers (IBCs) do not require licensing if the total capacity on the vehicle is no more than 3000 litres and they are not filled or emptied on the vehicle.
Holders of current dangerous goods vehicle licences issued in other States or Territories may transport dangerous goods in Western Australia without being licensed in Western Australia.

Existing dangerous goods vehicle licences

Some owners have more than one vehicle used in the bulk transport of dangerous goods. The regulations require applicants to notify the department’s Chief Dangerous Goods Officer at the time of application of the details for other dangerous goods vehicle licences held.

Transport of ammonium nitrate

All operators transporting Security Sensitive Ammonium Nitrate (SSAN) are required to hold an SSAN transport licence, and must prepare a security plan as part of the SSAN transport licence application to demonstrate that all aspects of their operation can be performed in a secure manner.

The only SSAN vehicles that require an additional dangerous goods vehicle licence are road tank vehicles.  The only road tank vehicles for SSAN are the tankers that transport Ammonium Nitrate Emulsions or Suspensions, classified as UN 3375.

Security sensitive ammonium nitrate transport licence - application form - 311 Kb

This form or template is required to apply for a security sensitive ammonium nitrate transport licence.

See What is required for security sensitive ammonium nitrate licences? for more information on security plans and security clearances.

Who can apply?

The registered owner of a vehicle can apply for a dangerous goods vehicle licence.

The applicant must:

  • have a current motor vehicle registration issued under the Road Traffic Act 1974 or Federal Interstate Road Transport Act 1985 in the name of the applicant
  • ensure the vehicle and its operation complies with the Australian Dangerous Goods Code, 7th edition
  • hold a minimum public liability insurance policy of five million dollars (AUD5,000,000) to transport a placard load of dangerous goods.

The Australian Dangerous Goods Code, 7th Edition (ADG Code) is available from the National Transport Commission.

Required information

The completed and signed application must be lodged with the supporting documentation, which is:

  • the original or the original certified document (where a copy is requested this does not apply)
  • dated not more than six months before the day your application is received by the department.

Applications for a dangerous goods vehicle licence must be accompanied by specific information.

Failure to provide the required documentation will delay processing of applications. Most applications are dealt with within approximately 20 business days.

Dangerous goods vehicle licence - general information - 258 Kb

The following information is to guide you on the requirements for applying for and renewing dangerous goods vehicle licences.

Department of Transport inspection (MR1) certificate

The MR1 certificate shows that the vehicle has passed a roadworthiness inspection conducted by the Department of Transport, accredited agent or an interstate equivalent.It is required for both new and renewal applications.

The certificate must be dated not more than six months before the day the application is lodged.

An MR1 certificate is not required for new vehicles in the first year of the motor vehicle registration.

The Department of Transport has details on where to get your vehicle examined.

Current motor vehicle registration

  • the vehicle must be registered in the same name as the licence applicant.
  • the vehicle registration is only required for new applications.

Tank design approval

  • document(s) issued by the relevant competent authority stating the design has been assessed against the requirements of the Australian Dangerous Goods Code, 7th edition.
  • the document(s) must include the following information
    • tank type
    • material of construction
    • tank capacity
    • number of compartments
    • serial number
    • approval number
    • date of approval.

Court order, if applicable

  • A certified copy of a court order prohibiting involvement in the transport of dangerous goods by road.

This does not apply for holders of New Zealand explosives driver licences who must apply for mutual recognition of their licences.

Application fee

The licence fee payable covers the five year period of the licence.

For information regarding application fees please see Schedule of fees and charges.

Related information

Notification of changes of details

The Chief Dangerous Goods Officer must be notified within 14 days of any material changes to the details on a licence or registration.

Transporting dangerous goods in limited quantities - changes in the ADG7.5 - information sheet - 333 Kb

This information sheet summarises and explains the changes to the code in regards to dangerous goods transported in limited quantities. It should be used in conjunction with ADG7.5.

Emergency responders

A prime contractor transporting a placard load of dangerous goods in WA must:

  • be an approved emergency responder


  • have a contract with an approved emergency responder.

The role of the emergency responder is to control the clean-up response that may result from an incident involving a road vehicle transporting the dangerous goods.

What is the role of approved emergency responders?

Applicable legislation

Contact details

For any enquiries please contact Dangerous Goods Licensing:
Phone: (08) 9358 8001