Under Quality Management standard AS/NZS ISO 9001:2008, the Department of Mines and Petroleum’s Environment Division (ED), Petroleum Division (PD) and Royalties Branch (RB) are certified to:
- Provide leadership and excellence in the delivery of regulatory services and policy advice to improve environmental outcomes for mining, petroleum and geothermal exploration and development;
- Provide a regulatory environment that enables the responsible development of petroleum and geothermal energy resources of Western Australia; and
- Committed to achieving quality within all the organisations area of responsibility associated with administering petroleum and mineral royalty legislation.
The AS/NZS ISO 9001:2008 Certificate of Registration confirms that the Divisions/Branch management systems comply with the requirements of that standard for provision of regulatory services for the minerals and petroleum industries and the community, and policy advice to the Minister for Mines and Petroleum.
What is Quality Assurance?
The Divisions/Branch have adopted Quality Assurance (QA), a customer focused strategy, to enhance the effectiveness of all its activities - maximising reliability and performance. The strategy, with continuous improvement, systemic documentation and regular internal audits, aims to meet specifications of the International Quality Management standard ISO 9001:2008 across all Divisions/Branch activities.
The Executive Directors ED and PD and the General Manger RB are committed to comply with requirements and to continually improve the effectiveness in the Quality Policy.
The policy is reviewed on an annual basis.
Why Quality Assurance?
Effective QA helps promote credibility about the integrity of Royalty management processes, and gives the Branch a stronger customer focus - to which it is already committed. As a pre-condition, QA requires a Quality Policy, Business Online systems, Records and Forms/Templates of all royalty related processes and training to meets the specified requirements of the customer and quality objectives at a consistent level.
Implementing Quality Assurance
The Branch General Manager is the executive responsible for ensuring that the Quality Assurance and Branch policies are implemented, understood and maintained at all levels in the Branch, namely:
- development and implementation of the Quality Management System to ensure compliance with AS/NZS ISO 9001:2008;
- overseeing the performance and ongoing maintenance of the Quality Management System;
- reviewing the organisational relationships as they affect quality and developing proposals for improvement;
- monitoring the QMS by auditing to determine compliance with the requirements of AS/NZS ISO9001:2008 and reporting the performance to Senior Management;
- resolving all matters associated with quality in the Branch;
- identifying ways and means of improving the QMS and proposing changes to management; and
- liaising with the customer to ensure that actual or potential quality problems are resolved.
Surveillance of the Branch’s System Certification is conducted by independent auditors qualified in inspecting, verifying and testing to ensure the Branch’s systems and services is compliant with regulations and standards. This certification is reviewed annually against Australian Standards, in the context of the QA manual. All QA findings, suggestions and complaints are followed through.
The Branch is committed to achieve certification under the new AS/NZS ISO 9001:2015 standard by February 2018. The new ISO 9001:2015 standard strives to give additional momentum to the continuous and systematic improvement of processes within Branch.
Suggestions are welcome
You can make feedback/suggestions via the Departments Feedback and complaints system.