Who is responsible for the notification?
The principal employer or registered manager is responsible for informing the district inspector of mines for the region if a mining operation is suspended.
Refer to s. 42 of the Mines Safety and Inspection Act 1994.
The completed and signed notification form must be accompanied by details of:
- reason for suspension
- planned duration of suspension
- for a total closure, additional information as described in regulation 3.16
- if underground or open pit access (or both) is to be maintained, details of the arrangements that have been made for the provision of regular services and emergency services to ensure the safety of employees engaged in maintaining the mine
- measures taken to prevent unauthorised access or entry to the mine
- precautions taken to protect underground equipment and service installations
- plans as required by section 88 of the Mine Safety and Inspection Act 1994.
Refer to rr. 3.12 and 3.14 of the Mines Safety and Inspection Regulations 1995 for general information regarding requirements for suspension.
Refer to r. 3.16 of the Mines Safety and Inspection Regulations 1995 for additional requirements if a total mine closure is planned.
Refer to s. 88 of the Mines Safety and Inspection Act 1994 for the requirement to furnish plans when a mining operation is suspended or abandoned.
Refer to r. 3.51 of the Mines Safety and Inspection Regulations 1995 for detailed requirements for plans to be submitted when a mining operation is suspended or abandoned.
Notification of appointments must be submitted online using the Notifications sub-system in the Safety Regulation System (SRS)
The principal employer or registered manager can notify the department of a statutory appointment, or a person acting on their behalf.
A Company Administrator (CA) or a Company Representative can enter information into SRS. The CA can assign the role of Company Representative to any person required to notify appointments.
The completed and signed appointment letter needs to be attached to the notification of appointment in SRS.
For enquiries please contact an inspector of mines
Phone: 1800SAFEMINE (1800 7233 6463)