Applying for an explosives supply licence

Explosives supply licence - application form - 221 Kb

This form or template is required to apply for an explosives supply licence.

When is this licence required?

An explosives supply licence authorises the holder to possess and supply authorised explosives to individuals or companies that have legal authority to possess explosives.

An explosives supply licence is issued for five years.

Some storage of explosives for supply is permitted.

The sale of authorised explosives to overseas consignees requires the possession of an explosives import/export licence.

When is an explosives supply licence not required?

An explosives supply licence is not required if one of the following licences is held:

  • explosives import/export licence
  • explosives manufacture licence – where the explosives are manufactured from constituents in a mobile processing unit (MPU)
  • explosive manufacture licence
  • explosives transport licence – where transport is to the consignee of the explosives
  • explosives driver licence – when the driver is transporting explosives to the consignee of the explosives in a vehicle covered under an explosives transport licence.

An explosives supply licence is not required for the sale of:

  • unrestricted fireworks such as sparklers, party poppers and Christmas crackers
  • cartridges for safety devices
  • cartridges for nail guns
  • emergency devices
  • ammunition (a person must be authorised under the Firearms Act 1973 to sell such items).

Special provisions for the sale of explosives

The licence holder is responsible for:

maintaining records of all sales for a minimum of two years and the ability to identify theft or loss

  • supplying only to authorised persons over 18 years of age
  • not supplying explosives in damaged packaging
  • not displaying live explosives for sale on any premises.

Storage of explosives

Where explosives are to be stored, an explosives storage licence is required. The licence will specify the types and quantities of explosives permitted to be stored.

Applying for an explosives storage licence has the application form and guidance material on storage.

Who can apply?

Licences can be granted to an individual, body corporate or partnership.

Individuals must be at least 21 years of age.

Use of an accredited consultant

To develop the submission, it is recommended that those intending to apply for a licence engage a dangerous goods consultant accredited to prepare and submit security sensitive ammonium nitrate applications. The consultant will normally complete the application form on the applicant’s behalf, but the intended licensee must sign the application.

Applications submitted without accredited consultant endorsement may take up to three months to process and a checking fee applies. Deficient submissions will take longer to process.

Required information

The completed application must be signed by the intended licensee and lodged with the supporting documentation, which is the original or the original certified document (where a copy is requested this does not apply).

Important note: It is important that the particular details of the products to be sold (particularly high explosives and detonators) are accurately described. Applicants should refer to products by the authorised name, and include the Classification Code and the United Nations (UN) Number.

Failure to provide the required documentation will delay processing of applications. Most applications are dealt with within 20 business days.

Application fee

Only the licence fee for the first year of the licence is to be lodged with the application. Licence fees for subsequent years will be billed annually.

A checking fee:

  • does not apply if a consultant endorses your proposal as complying with the regulations.
  • applies for applications without accredited consultant endorsement.

The checking fee is equal to the licence fee payable with the application.

For information regarding application fees please see Schedule of fees and charges.

Lodging the application

Related information

Notification of changes of details

If you have access to SRS, you can log on to SRS to amend any of your personal details. Any change will flow through to other licences you hold.

Reporting an incident

Explosives supply licence holders are responsible for reporting accidents and incidents arising from their activities, including unexplained losses or theft.

Other guidance

Overview of explosives regulations - information sheet - 263 Kb

This document is for guidance only and the definitive statutory requirements are contained in the Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulations 2007 (the Explosives Regulations).

Amendments to the Explosives and Security Risk Substances Regulations (effective 1 January 2014) - information sheet - 135 Kb

This information sheet explains the main amendments in effect from 1 January 2014 under the Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulations 2007 (Explosives Regulations) and Dangerous Goods Safety (SRS) Regulations 2007 (SRS Regulations).

Applicable legislation

For any enquiries please contact Dangerous Goods Licensing:
Phone: (08) 9358 8001